Thursday, October 23, 2008

Her Name is Betty....

This is an email that I recieved from a friend of mine. It is so good, I wanted to share it with all of you.
"Greetings! I went to talk to "the lady" that stands over by McDonalds/Costco (on Cornell > Rd. in Hillsboro). She stands there, with her sign asking for help, almost every day. I have often seen her and whispered a quiet prayer for her, but always looking away when I drove past her. I felt prompted by God,to go listen to her story and pray for her today. I did go listen and she did let me pray for her! At first she thought I had come to condemn or criticize her being there. I assured her that I came to minister to her and to hear her story. She shared with me a lot in a very short period of time. She has suffered many calamities and abuses, many from her own family. Betty used to have a job until a few years ago, until she had a mental breakdown. She was diagnosed with bipolar disease ( A generational curse from > her Mother's side) . She at first was given the wrong meds. and during "black outs" she did and said bad things. Betty got fired and as a result she has lost many things and now lives in a tent. The system has failed her in many areas or she "does not qualify". She is homeless in our community and needs our prayers at the very least! She is on the "waiting list" for different social services and "waiting" for disability insurance that never comes through. She does not gamble,drink, smoke or do drugs. She depends on the kindness of others to help pay for her mail box and other bills that she is trying to pay off because she believes she needs to be as responsible as she can with the money people give her. She accepts the money and the gift cards that people give her. She appreciates the kindness of a wave and a smile. She has hope that there is an answer for her, that her money will come, and believes that God takes good care of her "out here".She blesses those who are unkind with their words or their gestures. Some words are harsh and critical, and she still smiles. When I was leaving her she said to me."God blesses me that I can stand here and watch the eagles and hawks fly. I am not here so we can judge or criticize the value or correctness of the things she shared with me. I am here to share a piece of her story so that you would know "Betty". That you would be kind to her when you see her and wave or smile. That you would give her money or gift cards or ask her what she needs. But, most of all, would you pray for Betty. Pray for the healing of her mind and for God to meet her every need. That curses would be broken and blessings be poured out. I know she is but one of many homeless people "out there", but I know we can make a difference. Even if it is one person at a time, it makes a difference to them.> > Abiding in His mercy and grace,> > Teresa

1 comment:

  1. Anadine my sweet sweet friend, I was so excited to find your blog. We loved Miss Valorie too! Before we moved I remember wondering where she was too. The new homeless person that took her place had a sign that said we miss you Valerie. Well Brandon is loving working for the church and has had some great experiences. We feel so taken care of. Our blog is www.beecroftfamily.com Brandon keeps it up but I really am going to start posting too, that's my goal anyway. I miss you and always think how grateful I am for knowing you and how you blessed my life with your friendship. Take care and holy crap your little boy got huge and adorable. So happy for you. Love, Juliette Beecroft

    ReplyDelete